Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Ashoka's Be a Changemaker Challenge
Saturday, October 1, 2011 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (PDT)
Vancouver, British Columbia
Are you a UBC or SFU student changemaker eager to create a
social venture and secure seed funding for your initative?
This is your opportunity to learn how to launch, lead,
and implement your venture in the community!
Be a Changemaker Challenge [Overview]
This exciting opportunity will be delivered by Ashoka Canada and Ashoka's Youth Venture and hosted by University of British Columbia (UBC) & Simon Fraser University (SFU) and powered by Starbucks, with the vision to enhance the social entrepreneurship experiences of all students.
This challenge consists of:
- University-wide call to action across the SFU & UBC campuses for students to create, launch, and sustain social ventures.
- An intensive day long workshop (Be a Changemaker Challenge Bootcamp) where students will receive training and support around social venture creation and idea generation, as well as materials and resources invaluable to starting and maintaining a venture.
- Continued ACTION PLAN developement by students with resources such as, a user- driven online learning platform, staff support, and mentorship.
- Selection of up to 10 teams for the seed funding of $1000 at the Be a Changemaker Challenge Panel
- Ongoing post-launch support and fellowship for students' ventures as well as changemaker skills development and leadership with a global movement of 100,000+ Changemakers in the Youth Venture network
Be a Changemaker Challenge Bootcamp will take place at Simon Fraser University at the Morris J Wosk Centre for Dialogue on October 1, 2011. Giving you the tools to create the change you want to see in your community, this workshop will delve into Social Entrepreneurship 101, Root Cause Analysis & Idea Marketplace, Special Guest Speakers, Market Analysis & Social Business Plan, and much much more!
Again, up to 10 teams will be eligible for up to $1,000 each in seed funding to launch their ventures, in addition to incubation support through Ashoka Canada and Ashoka's Youth Venture. The Be a Changemaker Challenge Panel to select the winners will take place at UBC - ISIS Research Centre on November 23, 2011.
Participation is free for students but you MUST register in advance.
For additional information please contact Claudia De Simone - firstname.lastname@example.org
When & Where
Ashoka Canada & Ashoka's Youth Venture
Ashoka is the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs – individuals with system-changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems.
We are redefining the global citizen sector by creating a system of collaborative entrepreneurship. Connecting the work of individual social entrepreneurs to business, academic and public sector partners, we create a network effect driving the sector forward and developing new solutions to global problems.
To date, we have elected more than 2,700 social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, in 72 countries in five continents. Across Canada, we have elected 36 Fellows since 2002. By working with our network, we have identified the key principles of transformation. We are working with business entrepreneurs, corporations, government agencies and universities to create a new reality. For more information , please visit http://canada.ashoka.org/.
Ashoka's Youth Venture
Ashoka’s Youth Venture leads an international community of young people who are powerful changemakers. An offshoot of Ashoka, the pioneer of the social entrepreneurship sector, Youth Venture inspires and invests in teams of young people to create and launch their own sustainable, community-benefiting ventures. Since its inception in 1996, Youth Venture has launched, supported and welcomed into its network nearly 3,500 youth-led ventures across 18 countries that have had impact on over 1 million people. For more information, please visit www.genv.net.